FAC – Future Active Citizens: volunteering as an exercise of democracy
The main objective of the project “Future Active Citizens: volunteering as an experience of democracy” was to raise young Europeans’ desire to become active citizens, informing them about the meaning and the practice of volunteering, based on the experience of civic and voluntary organisations.
The project allowed voluntary organizations to develop a better understanding of their action in a European framework as well as lets teachers to experiment with a new form of informal learning.
The project wasdivided into three phases:
1. INCREASE OF KNOWLEDGE of volunteering, active citizenship and civic participation in Europe through:
- a survey on volunteering, based on existing European studies
- a seminar that involved about 30 civic organisations from 7 EU Member States, aimed at discussing the survey results and the situation of volunteering in Europe (especially in participating countries) as well as at determining a common definition of volunteering to be used as a reference point within the project.
2. RAISING students’ AWARENESS about concepts and practice of volunteering by following activities:
- training/awareness raising meetings in 5 different schools/classes (two 2-hour meetings with each class)
- video contest. Students have been invited to create a video illustrating the concept and/or practice of volunteering in their country. The winners has been rewarded with the possibility to participate in a European event, organised by one of the project partners.
- produced by recording with camera or smartphone or by using animation techniques or visual effects;
- 60-120 secs. long:
- silent or in English.
- It was created a promotional video on voluntarism, used for project presentation at the meetings as well as an example for the contest;
- It was created an animated e-card in order to invite at least 3.000 people in each country to vote for the best video;
- It has been produced and disseminated of about 600 DVD (125 per country) containing all the videos;
- It was the celebration of awarding the winning team in the framework of a European event, organised by Cittadinanzattiva in Rome (Novemeber 2013).
Coordinator: Cittadinanzattiva Onlus (Italy)
Contact: Ms Daniela Quaggia
Funding programme: Europe for Citizens